The following signs and symptoms are indicative of substance abuse (note that not all of these symptoms will be present in all cases):
- changes in mood and mood swings;
- a less negative attitude to alcohol and drugs (thinking or saying “there is nothing wrong with drinking or taking drugs”);
- deterioration in appearance and personal hygiene;
- red, inflamed eyes;
- secrecy about friends and their joint activities;
- unexplained absence from home, the keeping of strange hours;
- poor motivation, a negative attitude towards school, poor academic performance and poor time management;
- becoming socially withdrawn;
- general lethargy and sleepiness; feeling tired; difficulty waking up in the morning;
- weight loss.
If you are concerned about a friend or you think that you might have a problem get help.